(Meningococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine)
(Group A, C, Y & W135)
Meningitis or Meningococcemia is caused by Neisseria meningitidis (Groups A, C, Y, W135) bacteria. It may be severe and life threatening. A variety of neurological and immunological complications are generally associated with the primary disease.
QUADRI MENINGOTM is to be used to protect against cerebrospinal meningitis and other diseases caused by Neisseria meningitidis (Group A, C, Y & W 135). Quadri MeningoTM meets the quality standards set by W.H.O. T.R.S. 594 (1976), 658 (1981) , 904 ( 2002) and conforms to the I.P.
Each dose (0.5 ml) of vaccine contains :
|Purified Polysaccahride of Neisseria meningitidis Group A||50 mcg|
|Purified Polysaccahride of Neisseria meningitidis Group C||50 mcg|
|Purified Polysaccahride of Neisseria meningitidis Group Y||50 mcg|
|Purified Polysaccahride of Neisseria meningitidis Group W 135||50 mcg|
|Lactose I.P. (Stablizer)||5 mg|
|Thimerosal I.P. (Preservative)||0.05 mg|
- Hajj and Umrah pilgrims heading to Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
- Children and person exposed to infected patients.
- Recommended for children above 18 months of age as routine immunization in endemic areas.
- Travellers heading to disease prone areas should be vaccinated at least 15 days in advance.
- Military recruits.
- During epidemic, children between 3-18 months need to be vaccinated 3 months apart. Revaccination is recommended in children at high risk areas who were vaccinated below 4 years of age.
QUADRI MENINGOTM is available in single dose vial with syringe and 10 dose vial packing along with diluent ( Isotonic Saline ).
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION :
Reconstitute QUADRI MENINGOTM with diluent (0.5 ml for one dose, 5 ml for 10 doses) yielding clear solution. Inject 0.5 ml as S/C or I/M injection.
CONTRA- INDICATION :
• Hypersensitivity to any of the vaccine component.
• Ongoing acute or chronic illness like fever, severe infection, persistant diarrhoea, vomitting.
SIDE EFFECTS :
As in the case of other polysaccharide antigen based vaccines, slight erythema and induration is seen during first 24-48 hrs of injection, which disappears after 72 hrs. In 1-2% cases mild fever (990-1010F) has been observed lasting for 24-48 hrs only. Usually anti-allergic and antipyretic medication is given 1/2 hrs before vaccination to releive potential mild reactogenicity.
Store at 20-80C in refrigerator. Do not freeze. Product is good to use for 24 months from the date of manufacture.
OTHER INFORMATION :
W.H.O has recommended use of Quadrivalent Vaccine (containing A, C, Y & W 135 type antigens) in place of bivalent vaccine (containing only A, C type antigens) specially in areas like India where group specific meningococci, causing disease have not been identified.